Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Haunting of Molly Hartley

...or whatever that was. Well, that was supremely disappointing. Not a bit scary, ridiculous costuming, and an ending that totally deflated what could almost have been a decent plot. Nice brainchild, but would have been better in different hands.



*note to producer(s)*



Dressing teenagers in schoolgirl outfits inspired by pulp fiction novels does not give your poorly written "thriller" that little extra bit of spice. Were you expecting that boost of endorphins from the early twenties male demographic to be mistaken for fear if you add one of those quick and dirty flashes of creepiness in the mirror with a Jasonesque singsong screech snuck into the score? Way to half assedly build a string of supporting roles only to pick an ending out of a hat. "Well, that character doesn't work with this ending. We'll just pretend nothing happened... That girl? I guess she just disappears. We really don't need more material at this point. This zit has already been popped."

If I was an eighteen year old boy looking for a sexed up, "I'll hold you if you get scared honey" sort of date movie with a freshman that swears she won't tell her parents, then sure. But for a real scare, I wouldn't even take my four year old. Who by the way, already thinks Poltergeist is the best scary movie. So fellas, if y'all need advice on the next one, I am sure she would be available for consultation.

1 comment:

  1. Ha. Last weekend I got flogged at the dinner table my my inlaws for taking my 5 year old to The Sixth Sense (well, and then afterward I scared her as a prank)

    ReplyDelete